The other day, I wanted to change up my breakfast routine and wanted a sort of all in one type of meal, so decided I would do some type of hearty muffin as I can include many things such as eggs, nuts, fruit, etc. Looking around my cabinets, I noticed bare shelves lacking any or enough flour. Yikes! However, I did remember I had purchased a package of wheat free pancake mix- EUREKA!
I bought a package of Vitacost’s brand, pancake and waffle mix, which contains a combination of brown rice and bean flours (garbanzo AKA chickpeas and broad beans). A great combination for increasing both fiber and protein yield in the muffins, while remaining gluten and wheat free for those like myself, that suffer from a wheat intolerance. So mind you, I never even opened the package to make pancakes and/or waffles as the product was designed for. However, if you have an already made mix ready for use to make said pancakes/waffles, you can just as well, use it to make muffins and other baked goods as it contains most of the dry ingredients you would need anyways, like salt, sugar, baking soda, or baking powder! This is why, I highly recommend everyone keep a package on hand because you never know when you need to make some quick muffins, cupcakes, or cake without completely making it from scratch.
After doing some research on other recipes out there and based on the muffins recipes I have done before, I came up with this quick, healthy, filling and pretty tasty muffin recipe. Enjoy!
- 1 1/4 cup Vitacost's Wheat free pancake mix
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup mixed cranberries and raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup coconut or date sugar
- 1/4 cup roasted pecans
- 1/4 cup oatmeal
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- cinnamon as desired
- Combine all ingredients for muffin mix in a large bowl and mix well.
- Spoon mixture into muffin pans or pans lined with paper cups about 2/3 of the way.
- Blend all ingredients for streusel topping (I used my NutriBullet) and add on top of muffin mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes until knife or toothpick inserted, comes out clean.